Friday, May 20, 2011

Jay Duplass Talks Kevin Gant

While I usually avoid Q&As (due to my impatience with too many audience members making statements rather than asking actual questions) I’m glad I stuck around after the screening of Jay Duplass’s short biopic “Kevin,” if only to meet the doc’s admirable director and arrange for an interview later. Unlike other filmmakers attending this year’s Arizona Int’l Film Festival Duplass wasn’t in Tucson to publicize his film, per se, so much as to promote its subject Kevin Gant (who also showed up to treat us to a post-screening acoustic set), the Duplass brothers’ musical hero in the early 90s who seemingly vanished from the Austin scene and into obscurity way back in 1995. Due to an insurmountable time difference – Duplass is based in L.A. while I’m reporting from Amsterdam – we spoke briefly via email about several issues both onscreen and off that "Kevin" the doc and the artist himself bring up.

To read my interview visit Filmmaker magazine.

No comments: