Wednesday, December 15, 2021

What I learned from watching Listening to Kenny G

Among the issues splitting Americans into tribal camps, perhaps only abortion and guns are more divisive than Kenny G. (Or maybe not. My left-leaning family members are pretty much in agreement on the first two. But when my mom exclaimed, “I love Kenny G! He got me through so many difficult times,” after I told her I’d just watched a doc about the musician, she might as well have told me she’d voted for Donald Trump.) Since 1986, when the man formerly known as Kenny Gorelick first burst onto the scene with the album “Duotones” – launching the much-derided and equally beloved “smooth jazz” genre – the saxophonist has pitted elite music critics against the masses that have made this endearingly (gratingly?) geeky Seattleite into a world-renowned phenomenon.
To read the rest visit Global Comment.

No comments: