Monday, November 11, 2019

Think Locally Rather Than React Globally: A Manifesto for 21st Century Doc-Making

"And while the Scandinavian film scene continues to excite me, filmmakers around the world are quickly catching up. Where once I would have thrilled to get a glimpse of the goings-on in a far-flung war zone through a Danish lens, today equally talented native filmmakers are providing me with a striking insider’s take from those frontlines. In recent years, as Danish documentarians teach me more and more about the world around me, I learn less and less about the Nordic region itself. I know a lot about patriarchal systems in developing countries. I know next to nothing about sexual harassment at Zentropa. I'd love to learn more. Unfortunately, important local stories are often sacrificed when filmmakers export their gaze."


Read more of my international keynote address for this year's Danish Film Institute DokDag conference. (Yes, it's in English.)

No comments: